Saturday, June 14, 2014

Thyssen, Reina Sophia, and home

Friday was a museum day for us. It started with the breakfast of champions, although the bottles of Coke light are getting smaller and smaller. These ones were about a whole 6 oz. 

On our walk there we saw this incredibly beautiful building. We don't know what it is, but it sure is fancy. 

The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza had a lovely selection of paintings that used to be property of Baron Thyssen and his wife. They start at about 1395 and go all the way up to modern art. Lots of second tier paintings by first tier artists. 

Then we went to the modern art museum of Reina Sophia. Where I got yelled at for taking this picture and it was outside, for heaven's sake! Open to the elements and the unwashed masses. 

The most famous painting we saw here is Guernica by Picasso. It is massive, and the longer you stand there and look at it the more powerful and disturbing it becomes.  You can read more about it here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernica_(painting)

I have also come to the conclusion that Salvador Dali must have been doing some research in chemistry. For many years. 

There were people all over the museum taking pictures with phones, tablets, and cameras--right in front of the guards in each room! But as soon as I pulled my phone out to take a picture I got the finger shake and "No, no photographia!" I must look sketchy. 

Since I can't show you pictures of the art, this is a good place for a few pix of our home-away-from-home. 

This is looking down our street towards the Prado which is just a few blocks away. 

This is our front door 

This is the pretty floor when you walk I to the vestibule and the door into the interior. 

The funny little lift and cool stairwell 



A beautiful door to the appt just to the left when you walk in the building. 

This is our room. 


Our address 34,3 Calle de la Cervantes. And although I wasn't tall enough to get it all in the picture, word on the street is that Cervantes lived on this street in No. 2 in 1616

Here's another pretty door on our street. 

We love our neighborhood!
 
A couple of blocks away we had dinner in one of the many little eateries while the soccer game was on. It was a wild night! I had a fabulous chicken fried in garlic that had this incredible olive oil that was herby, salty, garlicky, and utterly delicious. We all dunked our bread and fries in it. 

I know I'm a day behind, now. But I'll try to catch up tomorrow on the flight to Berlin. 

Buenos noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment